About the Film
Garbage is about the misconceptions our society perpetrates about race and how those misconceptions can lead to conflict, violence and even death. Black and white Americans move in two different universes in the same country, which the two main characters of Garbage exemplify;, with the Black male seen as an instrument of death and the White woman as a symbol of purity and innocence. Through their interaction, and as their exchange becomes increasingly tense, the audience is taken on a journey that interrogates how white people in America sometimes don't even realize how they've been indoctrinated.
- Cortada Short Film Festival, 2019, Audience Choice Award
- Portland Short Fest, 2019, Best Actor Award
- Miami Independent Film Festival, 2019, Semi-finalist
About the Director
Jose Muniain an award-winning filmmaker from Bilbao, Spain. He has been living in Pittsburgh for twenty years. His work behind the camera has ranged from long- and short-form documentary to fiction. The subjects of his films typically involve either the creative process or film as a medium to discuss social responsibility.
CMU IFF Review
In Jose Muniain's riveting short film "Garbage", a white schoolteacher and her African American student explore and navigate the racial tensions that plague this country when she asks him for a favor. With powerful performances and great direction, this film engages and challenges the audience to explore our prejudices and shortcomings.
Listen to our Spotify playlist inspired by the film!
Listen to our podcast to go behind the scenes with the film's creators.
Below are steps you will need to follow to redeem your free ticket code for Garbage:
- Click here to redeem ticket
- Click on "PURCHASE TICKET"
- Enter your email and password to create an account or log in
- Under "Payment details" check the white box that says, "Promo code?"
- Enter CMUIFF in the promo code box and click "apply"
- Click "Complete preorder"
- You will receive an email from Row House Cinema with details for viewing the film once it is available.